Saturday 27 December 2014

BLOGMAS DAY TWENTY-SEVEN // My Year in Music! (part 2)

Hey guys! A very happy Saturday to you all, I hope you've all had lovely days and are enjoying your weekends. I have the second part of my 'Year in Music' for you today- if you didn't catch the first part (Jan-June) I will link that here. Now let's have a look at the last six months of my music picks!



July- Graveyard Whistling // Nothing But Thieves

Nothing But Thieves are one of my top discoveries of the year, after CATB, and whilst they're very much in the fledgling parts of their musical careers, their Graveyard Whistling EP is immense, and is headed up by my favourite song from July- Graveyard Whistling. I totally recommend that you check them out before they inevitably release their debut album and get very famous!

August- Messiah // Prides 

Prides are a Scottish band that I discovered after they played the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth games, that took place in Glasgow. They're  incredibly catchy and both Messiah, and their new song 'I Should Know You Better' have been favourites of mine throughout the year. As with NBT, I can't wait to hear any upcoming releases these guys have in 2015!

September- Take Me To Church // Hozier

Hozier is another standout new act for this year and his first album is amazing. Take Me To Church was far and away his most successful song. It's incredibly deep, whilst also being very catchy, and in general is just totally gorgeous. I can see Hozier being a huge act in 2015 and I'm really, really excited to see what he does next!

October- Riptide // Vance Joy

This wasn't a new song when I fell in love with it in October, but when I went to stay in a little cottage up North in a place called Fort Augustus, I became totally obsessed with this little song. It was really popular for several months this year and kicked up again not too long ago when Taylor Swift did an amazing Live Lounge cover of it- which I will link here. Vance Joy is another up and coming artist that I'm predicted big things for next year!

November- Style // Taylor Swift

Possibly one of my favourite albums of this year was Tay Swift's 1989, but I actually fell in love with her as a person, even without her new- totally brilliant, album. Her attitude towards the abuse she received for writing songs about her experiences with different guys has changed completely this year and she's started calling people out for their shitty attitudes towards her, which is amazing!

December- Small Things // Ben Howard

I saw Ben live on the 6th of December at Usher Hall in Edinburgh, and I absolutely loved it. I was a little apprehensive about him playing so much from his new album (I Forget Where We Were) but since seeing him I have become completely and utterly obsessed with it. It's the perfect cold weather, cosied up inside album and I have listened to little else this month. I could have picked 'She Treats Me Well,' 'The End of the Affair' or the title track, 'IFWWW' but I have a special soft spot for Small Things- and I can't see myself falling out of love with this album any time soon.

There you have it, I hope you enjoyed reading all about my favourite music this year. Please continue to give me any recommendations you have and I'll see you tomorrow for another Blogmas post!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik