Saturday 6 September 2014

Winter > Summer

Hello again internet, I'm continuing my little Winter/Autumn obsession for this weekend with a little post explaining to you, in ten short reasons, why Winter kicks Summer's proverbial ass. 

Let's get to this.

1. SNOW
I realize this is a little bit 'love/hate' for some people, but you cannot deny how completely gorgeous everything looks when it's covered in snow. I used to do a paperround which involved getting up crazy early and when it snowed heavily overnight, it felt magical just walking round my neighbourhood in this really glittery Winter wonderland. Plus snow increases the chance of 'snow days' which leads me on to my next point...

2. HOLIDAYS
Everyone loves a holiday, whether it be from school, work, or college and Winter guarantees at least a couple for everyone, in the form of Christmas and New Years. However if you're at school, you're likely to get a couple of weeks over the Christmas period, during which you are allowed, if not encouraged, to spend as much time as possible in a blanket marathon-ing your favourite films and watching Elf at least 7 times. 

3.COMFY CLOTHES
I'm definitely a 'sweater' girl over shorts and t-shirts, and I love a good pair of cosy socks too. There is nothing better than piling on five layers of clothes and turning yourself into a multi-coloured version of the Michelin Man. There's a reason why Molly Weasley's jumpers only became acceptable around Christmas.

4. HOT DRINKS
I'm a big, big fan of tea- but it's simply not practical to be consuming scalding hot liquid while sitting on the beach, or in a sunny garden. However, come September- nothing starts and finishes the day quite like a cuppa, or even a little hot chocolate or Chai Latte. The possibilities are endless, and if Starbucks continue their trend of releasing delicious Wintery drinks, then I know where my wages are going over the next few months.

5. DARK DAYS
This is likely to be especially controversial, but when the days are dark and gloomy, not only does the opportunity for maximum cosiness represent itself, but in general, you look better. Gone are the days of sweaty stickiness, where your eyeliner ends up half way down your chin, now- the lack of light disguises any imperfections. Trust me, it's science.

6. FESTIVE CHEER
Having worked in a cafe throughout last year's 'festive season' I can assure you that people, in general become a helluva lot cheerier when Christmas starts to near. Tips go up, and the number of people smiling at you and saying 'hello' in the street seems to go up too. The only explanation is that the upcoming festivities, coupled with the Christmas lights lining the streets and suspicious smells of pine/cinnamon that seems to fill every single town in December, has rubbed off on people. It certainly works on me.

7. DUVETS
I defy anybody to find me a better feeling than crawling under a warm duvet at the end of a long hard day of Christmas shopping and being merry. I guarantee you that as Santa Claus rounds the last few countries on Christmas Eve, he is looking forward to nothing more than getting home to his bed. On a slightly less unusual premise, duvet days are a gift from the Gods and I recommend having at least two a month for maximum happiness.

8. SAUSAGES WRAPPED IN BACON
These are getting their own point, because while I KNOW that it's acceptable to make 'pigs in blankets' at any time of year, in the Smith household they are a delicacy enjoyed almost solely on Christmas Day. They are by far and away my favourite part of any Christmas meal and frankly, are around 4th on my list of favourite things about Christmas. Maybe higher, they're battling it out with 'seeing the family.' I'm not kidding.

9. PLUM/DARK SHADES
I love a plum lip colour, and I have one from Mac that I'm lusting after at the moment, which I included in my Autumn Winter Wishlist, but whether it be clothes, make-up, or life in general- there is something very very lovely about darker shades, especially since I'm quite dark toned in general. Plus there is something about a plum lip that screams 'don't fuck with me.' 

10. CHRISTMAS
The King/Queen of holidays, my literal favourite day of the year and possibly the best idea ever. Cheers Jesus. My family and I have the perfect Christmas routine down, which now is improved greatly by getting to see my four year old cousin open her gifts from 'Santa' and really, I don't think there are any words that can adequately describe my joy for the day. It's so much more than just one day too, since the planning takes up almost a month and the general holiday buzz lingers well into the New Year. I can't wait for it again this year and frankly, I don't know why you aren't yet too!

There you have it, my (fairly comprehensive) list of reasons why I think Winter is far, far superior to Summer. Shout out to Tumblr for having a gif of sausages in bacon, I'll see you guys soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik