Thursday 29 May 2014

30 Day Challenge; Day Sixteen- Concerts I've Been To

Morning folks! Whilst I'm sure most of you are celebrating that fact that it's almost the end of the week, I am mostly dreading it at is means both that my Spanish exam is here, and that I go back to school on Monday. Yikes. 

Today's post is all about concerts I've been too- and whilst I've been to very few, I'll give it my best shot at describing them! 

The View (2012) 


The View are a band from Dundee, near where I live- and in 2012 they did a show at my local Concert Hall for maybe a thousand folk? I was fourteen but my Dad loves the band too, so we both went together. It was supremely loud and I didn't know all the words and you can very rarely tell what Kyle Falconer is actually saying. But I loved it, it was small and messy and a really shoddy venue for a band like The View, but it got my hooked on live shows. 

Ed Sheeran (2012) 


Back in early 2012, a young man called Ed shot to fame with this unbelievable album '+' and I was part of the first wave of 'new fans' that flocked to see his shows, at much larger venues than in previous years. I was already obsessed by the time I arrived at The Barrowlands in Glasgow, which is a proper music venue, all faded grandure and the perfect balance of sweaty clamour and actual space. Ed played a set all by himself using his loop pedal, which was amazing enough in itself, since it had rarely been done before, let alone for me to see. It was great, he was amazing. And the kicker was that his support act? A guy called Passenger. Heard of him? 

Fall Out Boy (2014) 


2013 was a year of missed opportunities for me regarding concerts. I wanted to see You Me At Six, but they flew to the US and didn't come back until early this year, I wanted to see Kodaline in November, and again in March- but both fell through. So by the time FOB rolled around in late March this year. I was beside myself. It also meant my first visit to The Hydro, Glasgow's newest gig venue. Which is a real feat of gig planning, anything you could wish for in a massive hall with beer and food, it's got. FOB were supported by New Politics, who were great but I didn't really know, and The Pretty Reckless, who I knew, but sucked. In all honesty, Fall Out Boy could have been supported by a one man band plucked off of Sauciehall Street and I wouldn't have cared. They were immense, everything you would have expected from 10+ years of touring together (even with that pesky break in the middle.) As a fan forged in the hiatus, there were times when seeing Fall Out Boy live was a dream. And honestly? It still felt pretty dreamlike in March. 

Gary Barlow (2014) 


My second trip to The Hydro rolled around just one week later when I returned to see Gary Barlow with my mum. I'd be lying if I said I was truly thrilled but honestly? It was great fun, the support act was Eliza Doolittle who I used to love, and surrounded by very drunk Glaswegian woman, screaming 'I FUCKIN LOVE YOU GARY,' was a right laugh. Wouldn't pay the ticket price for myself but I certainly wouldn't turn down another opportunity to see him! 

There you have it, my pitifully small collection of gigs. However, I am going to T in the Park this year, which will quadruple the number of bands I've seen, and I'm also seeing my dear Ed Sheeran again in October. So far, 2014 is looking like a pretty amazing music year. Have a wonderful day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik