Tuesday 13 August 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Top Ten Opening Lines



This weeks ‘Top Ten Tuesday’s’ is ‘Top Ten Fictional Crushes.’ Again, I’m picking and choosing from a list by brokeandbookish.blogspot.com who really are brilliant, and are also in this months ‘blogs of the month!’ Without further ado, here is my list. 



1. "I will not drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week." Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding

2. "It was a bright cold day in April and the clock was striking thirteen" 1984 by George Orwell

3. In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.” The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien

4. “***HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***
You are going to die.” The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

5. “I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.” I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

6. “The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don’t got nothing much to say. About anything.” The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

7. “When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it’s never good news.” Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

8. “Let me guess. You want to know why I tried to kill myself.” For One More Day by Mitch Albom

9. “The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.” The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

10. “Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.” Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J K Rowling



Okay, so a couple of dislaimers first of all, the quote from ‘The Book Thief’ isn’t actually the very first line, but I’m making a personal exception. I found this really, really hard to pick after I had about eight quotes, but I enjoyed doing it. It’s funny how a lot of these books are some of my favourites/are known as being great books. Perhaps, even if you can’t judge a book by its cover, you can judge it by its first line. I will be back tomorrow with another lifestyle post, have a wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik