Monday 22 July 2013

'Happily Ever After' and 'for one more day' Review

Hello everyone, I had originally planned to have 3 books (at least) read and reviewed by the weekend. However, I realised once I'd started the book I'm currently reading (Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill) that I wouldn't be finished in time for Sunday. So instead of further postponing the review, I will do 2 books today, 2 more on Thursday, including 'Dreams and Shadows' and then hopefully two more on Sunday. 

'for one more day' by Mitch Albom


I picked this up from my local library because I want to read Albom's other book, 'The 5 People You Meet in Heaven' but they didn't have it in stock.

'for one more day' centres around Charley Benetto and the story of his attempted suicide, and how in the aftermath, as he staggers back to his old house, he is greeted by his mother, who has been dead for 8 years. Charley then gets to spend a whole day watching her, and he gets the chance to reconcile with her, to explain what has happened and to seek forgiveness. 

The book isn't particuarly long but it does cover the story arc well, and you quickly get to see Charley's reasons for his suicide. The book is narrated by a third party, whose identity isn't revealed until the very last page. The book definitely made me consider how you act around people and how you would feel if one of the people close to you did pass away. You have to take the storyline with a pinch of salt because it does basically describe him being visited by the ghost of his mother, but the morals and themes are solid and work really well. 

Characters: 5/10 (there's not a massive focus of characterization and the book isn't long enough to go into great detail)
Plot: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

'Happily Ever After' by Harriet Evans


'Happily Ever After' follows Eleanor Bee, a book loving daughter of two divorcees who wants to work in publishing, as she grows up. By my estimation, you follow her through from 1988 to 2008. However the book isn't written in the same way as 'One Day' by David Nicholls, in that it doesn't jump from year to year, there are sometimes gaps of several years before 100 pages on a 4 month part of Eleanor's life. 

'Happily Ever After' is an easy read, aimed at women and is what I would describe as a good 'holiday book.' However it is good, and I finished it quickly so Eleanor's story was obviously entertaining. Despite the vast array of characters that were introduced, you were able to keep track easily and I definitely approved of the ending. Plus the references to other books throughout 'Happily Ever After' were brilliant!

Characters:8/10
Plot:6/10
Overall:6/10

I will update with a review of 'Dreams and Shadows' plus another book on Thursday, and there will be a regular lifestyle post on Wednesday. Hope you all have a good week, so I will see you then! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik