Thursday 9 May 2013

City of Bones

Hello everyone, I hope you're having an excellent week! 

The book I'm reviewing today is City of Glass by Cassandra Clare, the first part of The Mortal Instruments series. The book introduces us to Clary, a seemingly ordinary girl who suddenly discovers she is able to see demons, shadow hunters and other fantastical creatures. Shortly after, her mother is taken from her, she meets Jace, Alec, Hodge and Isabelle, shadow hunters who's job it is to kill the demons that inhabit this world and protect the human.



Basically the first book centres around Clary 'discovering' who she is, who her parents really are and all about the world of the Shadowhunters. Inevitably, there's a love triangle, more than one attractive male, and a movie coming out in August in both the UK and the US and I personally cannot wait. The book is brilliant so I really just hope they do a good job with the film! My best friend is the biggest fan of these books and I completely owe her for getting me into them! So yeah, cheers Alex!



Sadly I feel like when the movie comes out there will be a whole wave of Hunger Games esque 'fan girls' and it will be compared to Twilight. While I want this book and the subsequent movie to get as much attention as it deserves, as it's now one of my favourite books ever, I really really want all of you to go out, pick up this book (seriously it's only 2.99 in The Works) and sit and read it. You'll thank me after. Promise.

Overall- 
Plot- 
Characters- 
Books I'd compare it too: tentatively saying that the love triangle and 'monsters' are a little like twilight. Writing style is quite like Veronica Roth or Maggie Stievater.

Just as a side note, not all of the books I review will be receiving such glowing reviews, it just happens that I've read a few AMAZING books lately, and I'm currently reading the 2nd part of this series which has been brilliant so far, so perhaps the next couple of books will be good too! I'm thinking about making a 'books I definitely wouldn't recommend' post which will be going up in the next couple of weeks!

Have a wonderful day!

Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik